Saturday, August 20, 2011

Remember Me

Disclaimer: Shari and Peter are the main characters of Remember Me, copyright belongs to Christopher Pike, I own nothing. Images from Google.

Note: A fan fiction to commemorate my favorite author's well-loved trilogy. I'm not Pike, but I hope Shari-Peter fans will enjoy this bit ^^


I am no psychic. I didn't feel any strange vibes that day. I remember everything seemed normal enough with bored students, noisy chatter all over the room and even my crazy nerves reacting during biology class is just so normal.


I looked up from my book for the third time after I saw from my peripheral vision another student entering the lab. But it was just Luke. Dammit, I gotta stop this, I thought. Every lab period I got jittery with anticipation and for what? Sure he talks to me, but really he's friendly with everyone. That's his charm. He's cool, he's good at almost anything and the best in baseball and he'll go places for it. I could wish he'd see me in a more special way. But, really, Shar, I told myself, count yourself lucky to sit next to him for at least a few hours every week.

He must have come from the back door, for I didn't notice him until he had settled himself next to me. Sat quietly. And that was strange for Peter. There was that familiar fluttering of butterflies in my stomach. It always took some nerve before I could look up at him and manage a casual "hi." I was about to say it but Peter's look stopped me. Our table is at the last row facing the window. He was gazing at it with unreadable expression.

"Peter," I said softly. "Are you alright?"

Before Peter could reply Mrs. Fulton's voice came over the PA system and effectively killed the chatter inside the biology lab. Apparently, the student assembly scheduled for later in the afternoon was moved for the morning and could everyone please walk over now to the auditorium? I glanced at Peter. He reached for my books and surprised me a bit when he took my hand and led me on the opposite direction of the auditorium.

"Where are we going?"

For a moment his familiar smile touched his lips. "Shari ever played truant?"

I chuckled. "Peter ever did?"

"There's always a first time."

At the parking lot I looked uneasily at Peter's motorbike.


"It's safe, Shar." He reassured me. "And you get to use the helmet."

No, Peter, I don't mind about that. Why did you suddenly want to take me with you? Am I really going to ride with my arms around you?

He reached to fasten the helmet on me but I shook my head. His blue eyes understood and told me he was cool with it. We sat on the bike.

"Hold on tight."

"You bet," I said.

I wasn't crazy about bikes. I was crazy about fancy Italian toys and own a shiny Ferrari. But right at that moment, feeling the speed, the wind and Peter's warmth was the most intoxicating sensation I ever experienced. I wasn't just holding onto him. At some point I rest my right cheek against him. Little did I know I was embracing him for the last time.

A few minutes later we sat on the grass sipping iced coffee. Again, Peter looked lost in his thoughts. I didn't mind his silence. I've had a good share of his crazy stories and laughter, his stillness now is a glimpse of another side of him. 


Sip. "I was offered another baseball scholarship."

"Wow," I breathed. "The fourth one."

He looked at me. "If the world's gonna end tomorrow, Shar, what would you do?"

I shrugged. "Make my confessions? Collect my absolutions?"

Another sip.

"What would you do Peter?"

"I'll take you for a ride, buy you coffee, spend the day with you."

My heart skipped a beat. I tried to parry his words with a playful banter. "What if today's Friday and we don't share lab?"

"I'll look for you in your other class, take you for a ride, buy you coffee, spend the day with you."

I frowned. "Peter don't tease me."

He suddenly lie down on the grass and closed his eyes. "Do you watch all my games, Shari?"

"I never missed any since I came to Hazzard."

"You missed one."

"Did I?" Did I?

"Yes," He opened his eyes. " And that was the only time I lost a match."

Peter, what ride are you taking me on?
 


A great sadness came over me out of nowhere as I felt him reach out for my hand. To this day I couldn't explain what had happened. There was no further admission after that, no further explanation. It seemed like a good start for something between us, but even as he squeezed my hand, a part of me knows it is the end and that it was Peter at his best. Peter making up for what he has lost. Peter asking for a last absolution. Later that night when Jo told me about his fatal accident I made a decision to keep our last moments to myself. I didn't even tell his brother nor the police. I couldn't keep his warmth forever, but I could keep his last words to my heart.

He helped me down as we stopped in front of my house later that evening. His final thoughts were of graduation. Not his, but mine. "Two years from now you'll go to college and meet interesting people. You will remember me, Shar?"

It was dark already and the last of my shyness has come undone. I hugged him. "I will remember you, Peter."


No comments:

Post a Comment